This page was first published on the 10th of March, 2014 and last updated on the 9th of June, 2016 by Patrick Carpen.
Why learn Portuguese? The reasons are wide and varied. First of all, the benefits of learning ANY new language are countless. A famous man was quoted as saying, “learning a new language is like acquiring a new soul”. And I have experienced that effect firsthand when I visited Brazil. Sitting among and listening to my Portuguese-speaking counterparts, I felt like I was in a whole new world.
I’d like to list some very good motivations for anyone contemplating learning Portuguese:
1. Brazil is a booming economy with opportunities in almost every area of endeavor.
2. Many Brazilian people are beautiful, helpful and friendly to foreigners (if you hang with the right crowd).
3. The Brazilian government highly subsidizes education and it is easy for many foreigners to get a high quality, tuition-free university education in Brazil if they pass a test in Portuguese.
4. Brazil is a vast land of beautiful scenery, unexplored territories and huge economic potential.
5. The Brazilian government is doing more for the common people than many other countries, making Brazil one of the most desired place to live.
6. There are many high-paying job opportunities in Brazil for professionals who are proficient in both English and Portuguese.
(Related: The Most Beautiful City in Brazil)
Needless to say, it has been long suspected and now scientifically proven that learning a new language increases brain potential, makes you more receptive to learning and increases intelligence.
I’ll discuss here some of the most powerful resources, tools and ideas I’ve acquired during my quest to master the Portuguese language, with the aim of helping you, the reader, become a master too.